3.06.2007

'Airwaves' e os outros clássicos
























I have one copy of the cassette, resplendent in its soft plastic cover. But I don’t own a cassette player so I haven’t heard this recording of ‘Airwaves’ in years. It’s probably quite amateurish, as I used a little Boss Dr Rhythm box for the drums: but I bet it captures the essence of the song. I admit I cringe a bit when I listen to the version on The Golden Age Of Wireless, which hasn’t aged well: the production is far too ‘AOR’, with its chorused piano, glittering guitar chords and big drums. It was much better when I played it live. I regret not having had time to do a new arrangement of ‘Airwaves’ on this last tour. Maybe in the Fall?

Comentário de Thomas Dolby no seu blog a propósito do lançamento em CD do registo mítico assinado anteriormente pela Les Disques du Crépuscule. O Airwaves de Dolby é, apesar da modéstia do autor, uma canção assombrosa que nos deixa o cérebro a pairar vários minutos depois de escutá-la. Um pouco como a sensação ao comermos um destes chocolates porosos Cadbury: uma delícia. E o resto do disco é frequentemente muito bom também. O que foi vanguarda tornou-se clássico: com alguns clássicos dentro.

Arquivo do blogue