4.10.2012

Filho de Lee Marvin

























Chris Marvin (n. 1952), o único filho homem de Lee Marvin.

«One actor I’m a big fan of is Lee Marvin. My favorites of his are The Wild One (Laslo Benedek), The Big Heat (Fritz Lang), The Man Who hot Liberty Valance (John Ford), The Killers (Don Siegel), the Aldrich films Attack and The Dirty Dozen. My favorite of all is Point Blank (John Boorman) from the book by Donald Westlake writing under the name Richard Stark - one of the Parker books, all of which I’d read before I saw Point Blank. Just the idea of Marvin’s characters being outsiders and very violent appeals to me. Some seem to have a very strong code - even if it’s a psychotic one - that he follows rigidly. Like in Prime Cut: There are some amazing things in that, especially the scene where they drive this Cadillac Fleetwood into a thresher and it grinds up the car. These guys are selling drugged-up naked girls in stalls the way you would sell cattle, and Marvin goes there as a hired hitman outsider and rescues Sissy Spacek, who’s one of these naked girls in this barn. That’s a wild film.
A secret organization exists called The Sons of Lee Marvin - it includes myself, Tom Waits, John Lurie, and Richard Bose. We’re initiating Nick Cave into it too. There are many honorary members too. I have a good story about it. Six months ago Tom Waits was in a bar in somewhere like Sonoma County in Northern California, and the bartender said, ”You’re Tom Waits, right? A guy over there wants to talk to you.” Tom went over to this dark corner booth and the guy sitting there said, ”Sit down, I want to talk to you.” So Tom started getting a little aggressive: ”What the fuck do you want to talk to me about? I don’t know you.” And the guy said, ”What is this bullshit about the Sons of Lee Marvin?” Tom said, ”Well, it’s a secret organization and I’m not supposed to talk about it.” The guy said, ”I don’t like it.” Tom said, ”What’s it to you?” The guy said, ”I’m Lee Marvin’s son” - and he really was. He thought it was insulting, but it’s not, it’s completely out of respect for Lee Marvin.»

Jim Jarmusch à Film Comment de Junho de 1992.

Arquivo do blogue