7.18.2007

Living beyond his means

























‘I think being famous has become rather common, actually. I don’t really respect the sort of people who get to be famous these days. That whole world doesn’t seem at all glamorous any more — the films aren’t glamorous, the music isn’t and the people you see getting out of the private jets aren’t. I think there is something rather tragic about it, actually.’

He admits to taking a rather ‘old-fashioned’ line on some homosexual issues, such as adoption. ‘Oh, God, I could never do that to a child. Can you imagine what it would be like having your two dads coming to school speech days? And hearing those awful queeny rows while you are trying to get to sleep?’


Everett has no boyfriend, but this is not a matter of regret. He doubts whether anyone could bear to live with him because he has become so set in his ways. One of his friends well-meaningly put his picture and his details on the homosexual dating site Gaydar. ‘I got one message from a guy who said he had seen my picture and wondered if my age was correct. I had imagined he thought I looked younger. It turned out he thought I looked older.’

He takes great comfort in a wide circle of friends, many of them extremely glamorous women. They have always been drawn to him. Not long after making Another Country, he remembers accompanying Princess Margaret to the theatre. ‘We went to see a thriller together and she said that if it got too scary, she would have to hold on to me. She called me “Leggy”. There were a lot of gins and tonics, but no, I did not have a relationship with Princess Margaret.’

He is currently writing a screenplay about the final days of Oscar Wilde and has himself in mind for the part.

Highlights da entrevista com Rupert Everett na Spectator ("no" Spectator, como diz Paulo Portas) que está cheia deles. Para depois ler na íntegra, aqui.

Arquivo do blogue