9.21.2012

Política do "Eu."















«(...) Labels are so important to us. "I am a Republican," we say. But are you really? You can't mean that when you switch parties you have a new "I." Isn't it the same old "I" with new political convictions? I remember hearing about a man who asks his friend, "Are you planning to vote Republican?" The friend says, "No, I'm planning to vote Democratic. My father was a Democrat, my grandfather was a Democrat, and my great-grandfather was a Democrat." The man says, "That is a crazy logic. I mean, if your father was a horse thief, and your grandfather was a horse thief, and your great-grandfather was a horse thief, what would you be? "Ah," the friend answered, "then I'd be a Republican."
We spend so much of our lives reacting to labels, our own and others'. We identify the labels with the "I." Catholic and Protestant are frequent labels. There was a man who went to the priest and said, "Father, I want you to say a Mass for my dog." The priest was indignant. "What do you mean, say a Mass for your dog?" "It's my pet dog," said the man. "I loved that dog and I'd like you to offer a Mass for him." The priest said, "We don't offer Masses for dogs here. You might try the denomination down the street. Ask them if they might have a service for you." As the man was leaving, he said to the priest, "Too bad. I really loved that dog. I was planning to offer a million-dollar stipend for the Mass." And the priest said, "Wait a minute, you never told me your dog was Catholic."»   


Do único livro que coloco no mesmo plano das amizades, e tenho descurado a companhia do meu amigo Anthony de Mello. Como verdadeiro amigo que é recebe-me sempre de folhas abertas.

Arquivo do blogue